Photograph of the gothic stone choir screen in Winchester Cathedral
Taken about 1870
The early years of the nineteenth century witnessed much building activity in the Cathedral, including the replacement of Inigo Jones' choir screen by one in the Gothic style by the Cathedral architect William Garbett in 1820. The design was based on the west doorway of the nave, and it was originally intended that the organ should be relocated at the centre of the screen. Opponents of this idea argued that it would interfere with the view of the whole length of the building, however, and in 1825 a new organ was installed in much the old position on the north side of the choir.
Through the archway can be seen B West's painting 'The Raising of Lazarus' which hung behind the high altar until 1899.
The photograph was taken by Winchester photographer William Savage (1817-87) and is found in an album entitled 'Hampshire Views of Churches, Country Houses and Public Buildings'.
Object number: WINCM:PWCM 4578